Saturday, February 25, 2006

Trip to Dun Laoghaire

I must admit I didn't intend leaving it as long before posting about our trip along the Dublin coast to Dun Laoghaire.
But one week of a really busy work schedule and computer difficulties, here I am. This picture is just next to the Marina in Dun Laoghaire (pronounced Dun Leary). You can see we are wrapped well against the weather, but it was very pleasant as long as you were well-covered. Posted by Picasa

Jonathan is looking cosy in his Kaffe Fasset scarf with a million seagulls, yes, you guessed it, it's the outflow pipe. This is the view round the bay out towards Sandy Cove. We walked right round the bay.
Kathleen and a sculp-cha.
We had a great, if very bracing, trek out along the promenade. We could see the promontory of Howth and the ferries coming in from Holyhead, as well as the cargo ships.





This'll be your Sandy Cove then, a bijou beach of golden sand, featured in James Joyce's Ulysees. There were some intrepid swimmers braving the February air, actually now that I think about it, they were all hardy Senior Citizens. (Not your parents and godparents, Mhairi?)


Round the other side of the bay there was "the Forty Foot" where you can, if mental enough, dive off the rocks as they did in Joyce. This brave soul was definitely up for it anyway.

Can you make him out?



Just in case you get carried away....
I still haven't stopped laughing at that expression.
Don't know the last time I saw the word "togs".

There is a smallish turret shaped James Joyce museum in Sandy Cove, but being off-season it was closed. Nil desperandum. I should really try reading some of this guy's stuff, with all the advertising I'm giving him, eh?

Then we walked all the way back before having a quick look in the shops in town. I'm not one of these people who have to look at the shops wherever I go, but it was Valentine's day the next day ;-)

Added later- why do they bother giving you a preview if the finished article looks nothing like it? I don't know, tut tut tut.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kathleen,
I shall definitely ask my Godmother who braves the weather for the outdoor pool in Gourock (although I hasten to add that it is heated - so maybe not!)