Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Shoo-Fly

Supergran - are you "Canadian" or "Welsh"??? Either way, you are very welcome.

Some people take you at your word.
Some people like photographic proof you've been doing your patchwork!

Here are the four Shoo-Fly blocks I've made so far from the leftovers from the blue and white as-yet-unnamed quilt top.
I'm moving up in the quilting world as I have progressed to triangles with this one!
Don't worry if the triangle edges don't seem aligned to the edge of the blocks- once the 1/4 inch seam allowances have been sewn into the seams they should be bang on.

I don't know why they're called Shoo-Fly blocks, even though I borrowed a beautiful book about Amish quilts from Partick library.
I think they will become part of a storage bag for the blue and white thing when it becomes a quilt, rather than just a top. Or maybe a jammie case to sit on top of the bed. (Why does a grown woman need so many pyjama cases?)

The other side of the storage bag/ p.j. case will be done in another square and triangle pattern block, but I can't remember its name at the mo.
Each of these blocks is one foot across.
I'm getting the feeling that the patchwork/piecing is more of a draw to me than the quilting btw, but it's still early days.
Strange as this may seem, I do not want to establish a fabric stash, so I want to use up as much as I can as I go along.
I have even included a pic of the reverse side of one of the blocks for you madsters who immediately turn over all embroidery/ fair-isle/ patchwork to look at the back.
I got some brilliant news this week which I hope to share with you in my next entry. In the meantime- feast your eyes on my Shoo-Flies.















4 comments:

Twelfthknit said...

NOW I believe you....;0)
India

Anonymous said...

Lovely Kathleen - you really are getting into this quilting thing :0)

Very unfair tho' this keeping us on tenterhooks about lovely news. You know we have no patience - what ? what ? what is it ??? !

Anonymous said...

Don't keep us in suspense long Kathleen - good news needs to be shared fast :))

Flavaknits said...

Shoo-flies look great - you're really catching the sewing bug (its not"bitten" me yet) . And attracting rogue comments, YIKES! Hope they got a severe ticking off.
Can't wait to hear your exciting news!