Sunday, August 21, 2005

Mittens

Another recent project was a pair of mittens using a modified version of a pattern I bought from Sue at www.getknitted.com
I modified the pattern a bit because I was using Schoeller & Stahl's Limbo Mexiko which is recommended for 3-4mm needles, as opposed to the pattern which was written for normal fine sock yarn.
I was pleased with the way the mitts turned out in general, but I had to do a bit of tweaking to stop the top of the fingers being too pointy. The slope is still slightly too severe for my tastes, if I made them again I'd alter them. I'm sure this isn't a problem with the pattern as written, just if you are doctoring it and are rubbish at sums.
I bought the yarn for this in the Gem Shop, King Street, Castle Douglas which is near where my mother-in-law lives. When we go to see her it has become a bit of routine to go for lunch at Designs cafe on King St as well, go and visit m-i-l and then go to the Gem Shop to see if they have any new yarns in.